Raspberry Jam with Chia is our Fit4Females recipe of the week. Jam reminds me of my Mom and it brings me right back to being a kid. The problem with store bought is that the added sugar and pectin are not the healthiest ingredients. Make this healthy Raspberry Jam with Chia instead and top it on toast, chia pudding, oatmeal or anything you love to add jam too. My 10 year old loves making it. Tag us on social media when you make this by using the hashtag #Fit4Females.
Raspberry Chia Jam on Chia Pudding
Another amazing creation by my incredible friend Ashley of Real Roots.
“We all know store bought jams are loaded with sugar..but, what most people don’t realize is that sneaky little last ingredients called pectin. Pectin is what thickens and “jells” the jams and jellies. It is usually GMO (genetically modified organism) because it contains dextrose and citric acid which are both corn derived ingredients.
Pectin also needs a high sugar content to “jell” so, that means the jam or jelly you bought has a ton of added sugars to make the pectin activate. Homemade jam is so easy. This recipe used chia seeds to thicken it right up and has no added sugars.
Chia seeds add protein, fibre and omega 3’s. Try this recipe with any fruit and even better, fresh fruit in the summer. I love adding it to oatmeal, yogurt parfaits, chia pudding but, most of all I like it straight up classic on top of toast with natural peanut or almond butter. So yummy!”
Raspberry Chia Jam on Toast with Nut Butter
Recipe created by Ashley of Real Roots
- 3 cups of frozen raspberries or strawberries, blackberries, blueberries or even a mix (try with fresh fruit when in season)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Pinch of sea salt
- Drop of pure vanilla extract
- 1-3 tbsp raw honey or maple syrup (depending how sweet you prefer)
- Little bit of zest and juice from a fresh lemon (optional)
How to Make:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine berries, honey, lemon juice + zest, pinch of salt and vanilla
- Bring to a simmer and mash berries slightly
- Remove from heat and stir in chia seeds
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes and transfer to a mason jar
- Can be stored in fridge for up to 1 week
Be sure to leave me a comment below and tell us how you like the recipe. What is your favourite thing to put jam on?
Get more recipes here inside my Fit Insider
Add the jam to these Chocolate Cupcakes Everything Free Muffins
More recipes that are easy and healthy