Here is a Quick Workout that is five minutes, has 3 moves and can be done anywhere. If you want a longer and more intense workout, increase your rounds. This Quick Workout can be an addition to any workout. Grab water, start with a good warm up, and go at your own pace for each exercise. Make this workout happen and let us know on social media or in the comments below. We love when you post your sweaty #Fit4Females selfies! There are lots of free workouts here.
Quick Workout for Total Body – Demo Video
What you Need for the Quick Workout
- 15 minutes or less *warm up for 5 minutes minimum, workout is 5 minutes & cool down stretch 5-10 min
- Something to track time
- Mat or towel
Trina’s Trainer Tips
- Consult your physician before you start any new exercise program
- Always warm up first for 5-10 minutes, dynamic stretches and foam roll if possible *goal is to increase the heart rate, warm up the body and muscles and reduce the risk of injury
- Preform each rep with good form, technique, full range of motion and work within your limits
- Type of workout: AMRAP – As many rounds as possible in the allotted time, rest when needed
- Take it at your own pace, start slow if you are new to fitness
- Listen to your body
- Never work through pain, progression is the goal
- Never sacrifice form for speed
- Cool Down: 5-10 min – Always stretch and foam roll, gentle tension no pain
- Schedule your workouts as an appointment in your calendar, read How to Do this here
- Rest days are important and stretching is a must
Quick Workout at a Glance
Set a timer for 5 minutes. Always warm up first.
AMRAP: Try to get in as many rounds as possible, record them and try to beat your time. Post your rounds completed in the comments below. Use the hashtag #Fit4Females to tag us on social media so we can find you.
- 21 Jumping Jacks *22 to make it even if doing low impact single leg jacks
- 14 Fighter Front Kicks*alternate the legs
- 7 Plank Hover – inhale and exhale
- Repeat from top after your 7 Plank Hovers
Repeat from the top and continue until the time is up. Be sure to cool down, stretch and a little meditation at the end.
View this post on Instagram
#1 High or Low Jumping Jack x 22 reps
- If you don’t like jacks, you can add any cardio burst
- Stand with feet wider than shoulder width apart
- Start by stepping one or both feet out to the side and then return to centre, repeat on the opposite foot
- Keep your chest tall and ABS tight
- Trainer Tip: Start with a single leg, step out to the right, back to centre and repeat on the left, eventually working up to double leg high impact jacks
- Add both arms to increase the heart rate. As you jump out, open the arms and pretend to have a heavy resistance band to create tension in the air *keep arms level
- Keep pressing out on the knees to engage your glutes to avoid your knees caving inward. Focus on breathing through the centre of the body and relax your shoulders back and down
- Regression: Step one foot out at a time
- Progression: Step both feet out at the same time for high impact and add light dumbbells *avoid going heavy to prevent injury. Option to add star jumps but these are quite advanced so start with 1 star jump and one regular jack, alternating.
- Muscles Targeted: Total body and gets your heart rate up to strengthen it so you can live longer 🙂
How to do Jumping Jacks
#2 Fighter Front Kicks x 14 total
- There are four parts to a Front Kick
- Start the movement in a standing position with arms bent in front of you and fists up in “guard position”
- First position is: “Up” lift the right foot up and keep hands up in “guard position”
- Second position is: “Out” extend your right foot straight out like you are kicking someone in the shin and keep hands up in “guard position”
- Third position is: “Back” retract the leg back (kicking towards your butt) keep hands in “guard position”
- Fourth position is: “Down” return the foot to the floor starting position and keep hands in “guard position”
- Finally, repeat on the other leg
- Trina’s Tip: Keep your kicks low until you are properly warmed up, higher is NOT always better *if you kick too soon or too high you will pull a hamstring
- Regression: Kick low to start
- Progression: Kick higher as you progress
- Muscles Targeted: ABS, legs, glutes, hips, balance challenge and it makes you feel like a fighting champ!
How to do Fighter Front Kicks
#3 Plank Hover X 7
- You MUST be able to do basic planks first – here’s how *if Plank Hover is too difficult, start in a basic plank position on your forearms and work up to this exercise
- Start the movement on the floor from plank position on your forearms or hands
- If planking on your hands, start in table top position
- Back straight, tuck the chin for a straight line
- Squeeze the glutes, draw the shoulders back and down, take an inhale and then exhale to press your knees off the ground and pause for a count of 3
- There should be a straight line from the top of your head to your tailbone
- Take a big inhale, on the exhale, lower to the starting table top position
- Trina’s Tip: Keep your core tight. Don’t lift so high that it hurts your back and stay focused on squeezing the back side. Tap your glutes to wake them up because they’ve been sleeping all day!
- Regression: Try a plank on your knees
- Muscles Targeted: Upper body including shoulders, chest, biceps, triceps, back, abdominals, obliques and low back muscles *pretty much everything!
How to Do Plank Hover
Start in Table Top Position
Slightly lift your knees off the ground
Trina’s Final Notes
Many of us skip workouts because we think they have to be long but they don’t. Any quick workout counts, walk, do a 10 minute workout, climb lots of stairs. It’s not how long you workout it’s how intense it is. Stop slacking on your workouts and decide how many days you are going to do it in the week. I always aim for four and the other days are active movement. How about you? Try our Online 28 Day Shape Up challenge complete with at home workouts, meal plans and more
Do this Next
Meet us in Person
Drop me a comment below about what body parts you would like to work on and I will pump out a video for you.