Pesto Egg Salad is a clean and healthy alternative to the traditional egg salad and mayonnaise combo. For those of us sensitive to eggs, I wonder how this would taste with Tofu? My goal is to bring you recipes that are easy and healthy. As a Mom of three, I’m always searching Pinterest for clean and healthy recipes so I hope you enjoy this Egg Salad creation.
Trina’s Tip: I freeze the left over Pesto in ice cube trays and use it for a topping on chicken, fish, pasta and pretty much any food you love.
Each week in my Fit Insider, I dish out a workout, recipe or Trina’s Tidbits full of inspiration and motivation. My goal is to get you to take action. Use the hashtag #Fit4Females on social media so that we can find out and cheer you on. If you need it, here’s a great workout to get you started.
Pesto Egg Salad
Having boiled eggs on hand is a great way to get a quick protein fix. Try this Pesto Egg Salad for breakfast, lunch or save the left over pesto for another dinner. Ashley’s Pesto creation makes for a perfect mayo replacement. 90% of mayo brands are made with unhealthy refined oils like soy, canola etc and have additives and preservatives added.
Instead of mayo, mashed avocado and pesto add that same creamy texture and much more flavour. Add as a topper to mixed greens, eat with your favourite healthy crackers, or wrapped up in a homemade or store bought brown rice/whole grain tortilla.
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Few large handfuls of arugula (about 3-4 cups)
- Juice of one lemon + a little zest
- Large handful of fresh cilantro OR basil (I personally like cilantro for this)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Eater as needed (2-4 tbsp)
- Salt+pepper to taste
How to Make:
- In a food processor combine toasted pumpkin seeds, arugula, herbs, lemon juice+zest and salt+pepper
- Pulse a few times to get things moving
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil with your machine running
- Add some water as needed to reach desired consistency
- Taste and season to your preference
Pesto Egg Salad wrap:
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 1/4-1/2 avocado mashed
- 2-3 tbsp pesto
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 brown rice/Ezekiel or tortilla of choice
How to Prep the Pesto Egg Salad:
- Cut your eggs up into tiny pieces and place in a mixing bowl
- Add pesto, mashed avocado, lemon juice, salt + pepper and stir until combined
- Optional: Heat wrap for a few seconds on a dry skillet until warmed
- Place arugula or lettuce onto your wrap and top with the egg salad
Photo & recipe credit: Ashley of Real Roots
Try my 10 Day Kickstart
Join our F4F Community!
- Join my private Facebook Group here
- Come and try a FREE class
- If you love social, follow me on Instagram here and Facebook
I would love a comment below. Share a recipe, I read them all. Oh and right now, I’m an Instagram story junkie right now so if you are too, join me on Instagram here.